Article Publish Status: FREE
Abstract Title:

Polyphenol-Enriched Plum Extract Enhances Myotubule Formation and Anabolism while Attenuating Colon Cancer-induced Cellular Damage in C2C12 Cells.

Abstract Source:

Nutrients. 2019 May 15 ;11(5). Epub 2019 May 15. PMID: 31096595

Abstract Author(s):

Faten A Alsolmei, Haiwen Li, Suzette L Pereira, Padmavathy Krishnan, Paul W Johns, Rafat A Siddiqui

Article Affiliation:

Faten A Alsolmei


Preventing muscle wasting in certain chronic diseases including cancer is an ongoing challenge. Studies have shown that polyphenols derived from fruits and vegetables shows promise in reducing muscle loss in cellular and animal models of muscle wasting. We hypothesized that polyphenols derived from plums () could have anabolic and anti-catabolic benefits on skeletal muscle. The effects of a polyphenol-enriched plum extract (PE60) were evaluated in vitro on C2C12 and Colon-26 cancer cells. Data were analyzed using a one-way ANOVA and we found that treatment of myocytes with plum extract increased the cell size by ~3-fold (<0.05) and stimulated myoblast differentiation by ~2-fold (<0.05). Plum extract induced total protein synthesis by ~50% (<0.05), reduced serum deprivation-induced total protein degradation by ~30% (<0.05), and increased expression of Insulin-Like Growth Factor-1 (IGF-1) by ~2-fold (<0.05). Plum extract also reduced tumor necrosis factorα (TNFα)-induced nuclear factor κB (NFκB) activation by 80% (<0.05) in A549/NF-κB-luc cells. In addition, plum extract inhibited the growth of Colon-26 cancer cells, and attenuated cytotoxicity in C2C12 myoblasts induced by soluble factors released from Colon-26 cells. In conclusion, our data suggests that plum extract may have pluripotent health benefits on muscle, due to its demonstrated ability to promote myogenesis, stimulate muscle protein synthesis, and inhibit protein degradation. It also appears to protect muscle cell from tumor-induced cytotoxicity.

Print Options

Sayer Ji
Founder of GreenMedInfo.com

Subscribe to our informative Newsletter & get Nature's Evidence-Based Pharmacy

Our newsletter serves 500,000 with essential news, research & healthy tips, daily.

Download Now

500+ pages of Natural Medicine Alternatives and Information.

This website is for information purposes only. By providing the information contained herein we are not diagnosing, treating, curing, mitigating, or preventing any type of disease or medical condition. Before beginning any type of natural, integrative or conventional treatment regimen, it is advisable to seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.

© Copyright 2008-2022 GreenMedInfo.com, Journal Articles copyright of original owners, MeSH copyright NLM.